Hello, Universe!

Hello, Universe! A typical Programming joke translated to the astronomy. My name is Yago and I'm from Spain. I know, this Blog can seem confusing, an English spoken Spanish blog with a French name... Chaotic!

I'm creating this blog for various reasons, first of all, to share what I learn about Astrophotography with other people who are practicing it or are interested in it. Also, I do it to have a place to write what I learn and be able to review it later so I don't forget it.

My idea about this blog is to post discoveries, the equipment I use/acquire, the processes I do in my images (I'm really bad on this), etc. I'll write in English because it is the common language on the net.

About me? Well as I said, I'm Spaniard, I studied Computer Science and I'm working as a Software Engineer specialized in Functional Programming Languages. I started to get interested in Astronomy a couple of years ago, watching videos of QuantumFracture. I decided to acquire a small (and cheap) Newtonian telescope 2 years ago.

Meade Reflector 130/650


With this blue guy, I started to learn about astronomy, different kinds of scopes, mounts, weights, movements, eyepieces, finding objects, etc. I got captured by the space very quickly. Around 10 months after acquiring this small boy, I was able to take my first Deep Sky Object (DSO) image using a small engine that hardly moved the Right Ascension at the same speed as the stars "move". It was a super ugly, non-nitid, small, detailless image, but this "achievement" was enough to want to practice it more.

I did understand that with my current equipment I couldn't do Astrophotography well so, after months of deep thinking, I decided to buy a new scope/mount. Since I felt comfortable using a Newtonian scope, I moved to a Skywatcher 150/750, a polyvalent scope; the mount was the HEQ5-PRO.

Skywatcher 150/750 with HEQ5-PRO


This is my current grid, and I'm very happy with it but, to be honest, now I'd have preferred to had bought a Skywatcher Evostar 80ED Apochromatic, but as I said, I love my equipment.

After all this, the hard part of the new equipment came: to learn how to use the GoTo, how to polar align properly, how to shot, expositions and ISOs, Stacking... In one word "learn". I'm still learning, but now I feel more confident and comfortable than at the beginning.

When I started to do "decent" captures, I also started to post and share my images on this astrophotography subreddit. In this Subreddit I have learned a lot! It has an "Ask Anything" thread which is really helpful and the people are really nice. This can be probably the first advice I can give you: Do not fear to share your images or make questions to other people, they will point you the right way to do the things, as well as tricks and advice.

After that, I continued learning and acquiring more equipment. The next acquisition was a guiding scope and camera, after that a Bahtinov mask, now I'm waiting for a Dual Narrowband filter. Being completely frank, Astrophotography is not a cheap hobby, but you are able to see what no one can see, and what is more amazing, you are able to see the past of the universe.

Well, I think this is enough for an introduction! I'll try to keep this blog up to date as well as change the theme of the site, but I'm not very good at designing.

Thanks for reading me, clear skies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Size matters, but how?

Starting in Astrophotography